- If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. Cybercriminals often use great discounts to lure unsuspecting victims.
- Ensure that the shopping site or app you are using is legitimate. Bookmark shopping sites that have been verified and use that link for future purchases. While it is a good idea to ensure that a website that you are shopping on uses encryption (HTTPS), do note that even malicious phishing sites can now show a padlock icon and https, which could mislead people into thinking it is a legitimate site. Always download mobile shopping apps from the official app store.
- Refrain from using public Wi-Fi when making purchases. Cyberattackers can exploit inconsistent or lax public Wi-Fi security to infiltrate a poorly secured network to monitor the victims’ traffic and redirect them to fraudulent login pages. Another threat is posed by “evil twin” attacks, wherein the attacker creates a malicious Wi-Fi network that carries a similar name to the public network to dupe victims into providing direct access to the devices and sensitive data.
- Check your card or bank statements regularly for unauthorised transactions. You should also look out for small amounts as cybercriminals might ‘test’ your card before placing a larger transaction. Another good idea is to enable security alerts for financial or card transactions on your account.
- Use a cybersecurity solution on your devices. A good cybersecurity solution such as ESET Internet Security and ESET Mobile Security for Android have a payment protection feature that is designed to protect your financial data during online transactions.
- Enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) on your most important online accounts. MFA is an authentication method that requires the user to provide two or more verification factors to gain access and helps add an additional layer of security.
- Do not share or divulge your PIN codes or online banking passwords when making a payment online. Your PIN should only be used at ATMs and physical, point-of-sale terminals, such as supermarket check-outs.
About Version 2 Limited
Version 2 Limited is one of the most dynamic IT companies in Asia. The company develops and distributes IT products for Internet and IP-based networks, including communication systems, Internet software, security, network, and media products. Through an extensive network of channels, point of sales, resellers, and partnership companies, Version 2 Limited offers quality products and services which are highly acclaimed in the market. Its customers cover a wide spectrum which include Global 1000 enterprises, regional listed companies, public utilities, Government, a vast number of successful SMEs, and consumers in various Asian cities.
For 30 years, ESET® has been developing industry-leading IT security software and services for businesses and consumers worldwide. With solutions ranging from endpoint security to encryption and two-factor authentication, ESET’s high-performing, easy-to-use products give individuals and businesses the peace of mind to enjoy the full potential of their technology. ESET unobtrusively protects and monitors 24/7, updating defenses in real time to keep users safe and businesses running without interruption. Evolving threats require an evolving IT security company. Backed by R&D facilities worldwide, ESET became the first IT security company to earn 100 Virus Bulletin VB100 awards, identifying every single “in-the-wild” malware without interruption since 2003.